Third Point LLC, Movement In Hedge Fund Manager Dan Loebâ¿¿s Portfolio
Famed hedge fund manager Dan Loeb’s hedge fund Third Point LLC released its latest list of stock holdings on February 14 th and it included some additions and changes that will intrigue readers.
As Yahoo! Inc continues its recent recovery under Marrisa Meyer’s stewardship, Dan Loeb has profited enormously for making the technology company the largest holding by value in the hedge fund’s portfolio. The fund’s 73 million shares in Yahoo ( YHOO) rose from $1.17 billion in the third quarter of 2012 to $1.5 billion in the most recent quarter. In the same quarter, Third Point also got rid of its remaining stake in Apple ( AAPL), selling 710 thousand shares for more than $400 million. Here are some of the other big positions that Third Point got rid of:
Kraft Foods ( KRFT): Sold 5 million shares worth $207 million
United Technologies ( UTX): Sold 1.6 million shares worth $125 million
UnitedHealth Group ( UNH): Sold 2 million shares worth $111 million
Dan Loeb also added 19 new positions in his hedge fund in the fourth quarter, with its top three largest additions being $179 million of News Corp ( NWS), $160 million of Tesoro Corp ( TSO), and $148 million of Morgan Stanley ( MS). Here is a description of his new positions:
Here are the top ten positions of Dan Loeb’s Third Point Capital as of Dec 31, 2012 by value:
Interactive chart: Compare changes in 1-year return for the stocks listed below. As you can see, it's been a good year for Third Point LLC:
(Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list)
1. Yahoo! Inc. ( YHOO): Market cap at $24.86B, most recent closing price at $21.02.
Total value: $1,452,708
2. American International Group, Inc. ( AIG): Market cap at $56.62B, most recent closing price at $38.35.
Total value: $ 653,050
3. Delphi Automotive PLC ( DLPH): Market cap at $12.61B, most recent closing price at $39.98.
Total value: $ 382,500
4. Murphy Oil Corporation ( MUR): Market cap at $11.92B, most recent closing price at $61.35.
Total value: $ 370,103
5. News Corp ( NWS): Market cap at $68.2B, most recent open price at $29.43.
Total value: $ 178,570
6. Tesoro Corporation ( TSO): Market cap at $7.67B, most recent closing price at $54.64.
Total value: $ 160,782
7. Morgan Stanley ( MS): Market cap at $47.28B, most recent closing price at $23.87.
Total value: $ 148,180
8. LyondellBasell Industries NV ( LYB): Market cap at $34.74B, most recent closing price at $60.40.
Total value: $ 137,016
9. Nexen Inc. ( NXY): Market cap at $14.54B, most recent closing price at $27.43.