Obamacare Will Make Americans Vote Republican
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) Nearly seven in ten Americans say the Affordable Care Act will play a factor in deciding how they vote in the U.S. House elections this fall , according to a new Bankrate.com report. Of the 68% that say Obamacare will factor into their voting decisions, 32% of Americans say they will be more likely to vote Republican and 26% say they are more likely to vote Democrat.
"Perhaps surprisingly, these results indicate that the messy launch of Obamacare won't be as detrimental for Democrats or as much of a slam-dunk for Republicans in future elections as some analysts previously suggested ," said Bankrate.com insurance analyst Doug Whiteman. "It won't be an issue and doesn't motivate them in any one direction."
After the new Congress starts in January 2015, over half of Americans (52%) would like to see them make minor or major changes to the Affordable Care Act. Only 30% of Americans want the new Congress to repeal Obamacare completely, for a total of 82% who want to change the law in some fashion. Only 12% of Americans want to keep the law exactly as it is now.
- Obamacare Isn't Worth It to 72% of Americans
- Obamacare Enrollment for Uninsured Is Low, Survey Shows
- Convert Obamacare to ObamaAir: U.S. Health Care Much More Expensive Than Overseas
More Americans than ever are saying that their health insurance situation is better now than one year ago. The amount of Americans that indicated improved health insurance situations doubled from August 2013 to June 2014.
"While most Americans don't see Obamacare as a perfect solution, more are willing to accept it if a few changes are made," said Whiteman. "The fact that more Americans are saying their health insurance situation has improved and fewer want to repeal the law than when we last asked in April, signals a positive turning point for the Affordable Care Act."
The ACA is not a decisive issue for many people and some have said they have "heard enough," about the issue, he said.
"People who previously did not have health insurance are getting used to it," Whiteman said. "It is becoming part of their budget."
The largest group that wants to make changes to the ACA are 18 to 29 years old, the survey found.
- Obamacare Hits 7 Million Mark: Does That Mean It's Working?
- Americans Will Pay Health Insurance For Others
- Obamacare Saved My Life And My House
The results also showed that one in four registered independents who identified Obamacare as an election issue say they are likely to vote Republican in the upcoming fall elections, while only one in eight is inclined to vote Democrat. Americans with annual household incomes of $50,000 and more are the most likely to say that Obamacare will play a factor in their voting decisions in the fall.