Rates from Bankrate.com

  • Mortgage
  • Credit Cards
  • Auto

Interesting January 2015 Stock Options For IBM

Tickers in this article: IBM
Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is International Business Machines Corp. . So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2015 expiration for IBM. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $155 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $2.28. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.5% return against the $155 commitment, or a 2.1% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost IBM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to IBM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless International Business Machines Corp. sees its shares fall 18.9% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $152.72 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $2.28 from $155), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 2.1% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2015 expiration, for shareholders of International Business Machines Corp. looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $210 strike and collecting the premium based on the $3.50 bid, annualizes to an additional 2.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $210 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IBM shares would have to advance 9.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost IBM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for International Business Machines Corp., highlighting in green where the $155 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $210 strike in red: