Sears, Metro PCS: S&P 500 Gainers
The S&P 500 rose 5.8 points, or 0.43%, to close at 1,363.46.
Shares of Sears jumped 18.66% to $61.80. The retailer said Thursday it would try to raise about $1 billion by selling off or spinning out stores. Sears plans on selling 11 stores to General Growth Partners (GGP) to the tune of about $270 million.
Sears also reported a fourth-quarter loss of $2.4 billion.
Five of the six analysts who cover Sears rate it at sell; one analyst gives it a hold rating.
TheStreet Ratings gives Sears a D grade and sell rating. The stock has risen 94.46% year to date.
Metro PCS shares increased 13.81% to $11.70 on Thursday. The telecommunications company reported fourth-quarter earnings of $91 million, or 25 cents a share, on $1.24 billion in revenue, up from year-ago earnings of $14 million, or 4 cents a share, on $1.1 billion in revenue. Analysts, on average, expected 16 cents a share in earnings on $1.24 billion in revenue.
Metro PCS has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 12.47; the average for mobile telecommunications companies is 20.23. For comparison, both American Tower (AMT) and Crown Castle International (CCI) have higher forward P/Es of 34.27 and 44.64 respectively.
Of the 29 analysts who cover Metro PCS, 15 rated it buy, 13 gave it a hold rating and one analyst considered it a sell.
Metro PCS gets a C+ grade from TheStreet Ratings and is rated hold. The stock increased 34.79% year to date.
Other top performers in the S&P 500 Thursday include:
- Sprint Nextel (S) : The stock rose 13% Thursday to $2.52. The stock increased 7.69% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Sprint Nextel a D grade and sell rating.
- QEP Resources (QEP) : The stock increased 7.79% Thursday to $34.03. The stock has risen 16.14% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives QEP Resources a C- grade and hold rating.
- Jacobs Engineering Group (JEC) : The stock rose 6.37% Thursday to $47.61. The stock increased 17.32% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Jacobs Engineering Group a B grade with a buy rating and $52.53 price target.
- Fluor(FLR) : The stock increased 6.01% Thursday to $63.99. The stock has risen 27.34% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Fluor a B grade with a buy rating and $69.65 price target.
- Federated Investors (FII) : The stock increased 5.91% Thursday to $20.62. The stock has risen 36.11% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Federated Investors a C grade and hold rating.
- Denbury Resources (DNR) : The stock rose 5.5% Thursday to $20.72. The stock increased 37.22% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Denbury Resources a B grade with a buy rating and $22.50 price target.
- International Game Technology (IGT) : The stock increased 5% Thursday to $15.11. The stock has dropped 12.15% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives International Game Technology a C+ grade and hold rating.
- PulteGroup(PHM) : The stock rose 4.8% Thursday to $8.73. The stock increased 38.35% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives PulteGroup a D+ grade and sell rating.