NCAA Tournament Drives Ticket Resale March Madness
NEW ORLEANS -- (MainStreet) -- For college basketball fans, there's only one thing bigger than their team going to the Big Dance: the big demand for tickets once they've made it.
The NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament is unique in the sports world not only for its 68-team format, play-in games and seeding, but also its approach to doling out tickets. Only 30% of all tournament tickets are available to the general public, with the remaining 70% divided among the Final Four schools and their discounted, ID-only student sections (25%), the Division I Institutions and Coaches Associations (15%), the host cities (10%), NCAA committees (10%), broadcast and corporate partners such as CBS(CBS) , Coca-Cola(KO) , AT&T(T) and Capital One(COF) (5%) and the NCAA's luxury hospitality packages (5%). Even when tickets sneak onto the secondary market, their prices and availability can fluctuate far more wildly than those of other major sports.
|Brandon Davies of the Brigham Young Cougars drives to the basket Tuesday in Dayton, Ohio, in the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.|
"When you put it into perspective with the Super Bowl or with the NFL playoffs or the NBA or NHL playoffs, it's a much slower and different dynamic," says Joellen Ferrer, spokeswoman for eBay(EBAY) -owned ticket resale site StubHub. "With the Super Bowl, you've got a week to do things, with the others you have a series to deal with, so there's less of a day-to-day, hour-by-hour changing marketplace."